What is a social LMS you may ask? In the case of TOPYX, it’s a modern, cloud-based LMS with deep, user-friendly integrated social collaboration features — included in the base price. TOPYX is an entry-level, easy to set up and maintain social LMS for internal employee and/or extended enterprise applications. Their target markets are global, small-to-medium sized businesses, associations and public organizations. (Just mentally replace the Ys in TOPYX and Interactyx with an “i” and you will know how to pronounce it.) They claim over 10,000,000 users of their social LMS.
Yesterday, I wrote about The 3 LMS Licensing Models and TOPYX falls into the Annual License category with a twist. They charge $22,500/year per and they don’t count users or monitor bandwidth. This fee provides unlimited user eLearning management, social learning, mobile access, branding and reporting and free implementation. For additional annual fees you can add languages, ecommerce, integrations and other premium features. Even with all options in, it seems like a good deal for the extended enterprise where its hard to predict usage and a really good deal if you have tens of thousands or more users.
They have solutions and corporate focus in 4 out of 5 types of extended enterprise learning technology solutions including channel, ecommerce, associations and the public sector.
The TOPYX LMS is simple, intuitive and loaded with social features that are threaded into course, class, public social media, chats and discussion. With the “friends” capability, the experience is a blend between Facebook and LMS. Younger generations of workers and learners will appreciate the more social nature of learning vs. a traditional LMS.
If you are not ready for social learning or if you are a large organization and have complex learning management needs, business workflows, compliance needs and usage scenarios, then TOPYX will probably fall short for you. Otherwise, keep reading.
My assessment — TOPYX is a good extended enterprise LMS especially if it is your first LMS. They are strong on social, ecommerce, core eLearning management and reporting and provide turnkey entry into extended enterprise learning that will make you look professional and progressive to your channel, members and customers. The unlimited use license is rare in the industry, and if you can make the product work for you, you can really take advantage of the arrangement.
TOPYX Social LMS Extended Enterprise Vitals
LMS Name: TOPYX LMS
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Extended Enterprise Ready: Yes
Types of Extended Enterprise Expertise Learning Supported:
- Public sector –government — Interactyx is on the GSA schedule
- Core LMS with integrated social features is easy to set up and provides unlimited user no hassle use
- One price regardless of audience size provides the best ROI and best value
Licensing and Certification Features:
- Learning path, program and certificate management
- Accreditation management
Adaptive Learning Features:
- Configurable, role-based access
- Learner, instructor, administrator and manager core roles can be used to create unlimited custom roles
- Ability to assign several roles to a single user allowing for content functionality and content targeting
- Manage user sign-up options to obtain as much or as little info as needed
- Simple user import feature, supporting .xls and .csv file formats
- Roles can be passed through Single Sign-on and API for easy management
eCommerce Features: Robust, modern ecommerce features include:
- Shopping carts
- Button library
- Pre log-in catalog
- Sponsor links
- Cover flow catalog
- Organization pricing
- Marketing tiles
- License agreement option
- Any merchant account integration
- Integrates with pay.gov for governmental and public sector ecommerce extended enterprise!
State and Global Taxation Features: None found
Social Collaboration Features: When you brand yourselves the Social LMS, you would expect to see a list of available features in core product configuration like this one:
- Communities for site, subject, program, courses, materials, user groups and learning path
- Allow users to share their social profile feeds, photos, and bios within their profile
- Users need to friend each other to see deeper information
- Rate and review content
- Web conference – video, screen sharing, record
- Marketing Tiles
- Sponsor Links
- Cover Flow
Mobile Features: Responsive design for use on any device with a browser
Gamification Features: None found
- 12 language localizations available including left-to-right and top-to-bottom languages
- Multi-currency ecommerce
- 100% web-based cloud software as a service (SaaS) solution
- Here is a link to their published technical specs
- NET TOPYX platform API for Single Sign On and sharing of data
- Plug in compatibility with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, GoTo Meeting, 3rd party mail and more
- User dashboards
- Scheduled reports
- Core, highly configurable reports as well as ad-hoc capability
- Google Analytics integration for in-depth site statistics of audience, demographics and behaviors
- Mobile reports
Links to Case Studies on Extended Enterprise Learning: None found
Position Papers or Videos on Extended Enterprise Learning:
- Using TOPYX as an External Training Portal position paper
- Social Learning for Membership Groups and Associations blog post
- LMS Platforms Provide Security and Growth for Associations blog post
- Reenergize an Association with Cloud-based LMS blog post
- Can eLearning Systems Help Franchises? blog post
- Sell Content with a Social LMS blog post
Links to Online Demos of TOPYX Social LMS:
- In this user profile demonstration video, see the main user interface with integrated social communities, profiles, chat, training assignments and more
- Communities demonstration video
- Using the catalog video
- Learning Paths video
- Instructor admin video shows the robust course management features
- Branding video shows a variety of TOPYX customer branding examples
Need Help Selecting an LMS?
Are you shopping for a new or replacement LMS? Overwhelmed by all the choices? We can help! With more than 20 years of LMS buying and selling experience, our CEO and Lead Analyst, John Leh, is an expert at defining business cases, identifying requirements, shortlisting vendors, developing and managing RFP processes, scripting vendor demonstrations and negotiating the best deal on a learning solution. Fill out the form below to contact us for a free preliminary consultation.
About Talented Learning LMS Reviews
Talented Learning LMS Reviews provide initial screening of vendors for extended enterprise suitability. Vendors share lots of information on their websites — feature lists, video demos, case studies, position papers, press releases, free trials and more. We review and analyze all of this information to determine a vendor’s mission, assess the platform’s strengths and weaknesses, and determine how effectively it serves extended enterprise learning needs.
As always, at Talented Learning, we’re not about making sweeping predictions or judging vendors. Instead, we document the realities of today’s LMS landscape, and how learning technology is actually adding value. We have only one goal — to help clients find appropriate LMS vendors based on their unique business requirements.